Written by Shannon Fujimoto Nakaya, DVM
Disclaimer: The information provided on this page is not intended as a substitute for veterinary care.
Hopefully we will never need to exercise an evacuation plan. However, we do live on an island that has experienced tsunami, earthquake, hurricane, and volcanic eruption. In the event of a natural disaster, you are going to be your animal companion's best chance for support and survival. Best to be prepared.
- One secure travel kennel or portable cage that your pet could live in for a couple of weeks if necessary. If you have birds who don't ordinarily sleep in the same cage, they should have separate travel cages as well. Make sure to include perches and dishes for food and water.
- Newspapers or paper towel.
- Food for two weeks.
- Bottled water for two weeks.
- Medication for two weeks.
- Towels or blankets to cover the cage.